Role - Packaging Manager
Reports To - Head Brewer & Brewmaster
Job Description & Summary:
The Packaging Manager will be responsible for development and implementation of processes, projects, and training efforts that drive continuous and sustained improvements in packaging operations. Additionally, the Packaging Manager has direct responsibility in managing any packaging team members. The Packaging Manager reports directly to the Head Brewer and Brewmaster.
The Packaging Manager is responsible for cleaning and sanitizing any and all packaging systems prior to and after operation, as well as ensuring the beer is ready for packaging and packaged efficiently and in an aseptic manner. The Packaging Manager is also responsible for all scheduled maintenance on packaging systems, upkeep and replacement of packaging equipment, and upkeep of any applicable test equipment. The Packaging Manager also cleans and sanitizes product lines and other equipment as well as the general working environment in the packaging area.
Other duties of the Packaging Manager include managing Inventory of all packaged products, managing inventory of packaging equipment. The Packaging Manager must also ensure the cleanliness of the floors, miscellaneous parts, floor drains, brewer’s office work area, packaging area racks, and containers. In addition, the Packaging Manager is also responsible for checking dissolved oxygen of the beer, and any other task in the packaging that is deemed necessary. No job is too big or too small for the Packaging Manager to complete.
The Packaging Manager should expect to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, up to 12 hours per day if necessary depending on the production schedule. Overtime may be performed as needed if approved by management. The Packaging Manager is an hourly, at-will employee supervised by the Head Brewer and the Brewmaster.
A minimum of 2 years work experience in a professional brewery setting is a requirement for this position. Experience with double-seamed cans and canning equipment highly desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Come in, on time, prepared to work. Assist the Head Brewer and Brewmaster in building a schedule to ensure all required brands remain in stock.
- Proper personal protective equipment is required to be worn during the entire shift.
- Double check the volume of CO2 in the morning before the start of any packaging runs and adjust accordingly.
- Manage time and prioritize tasks to ensure timely execution of packaging schedule.
- Manage the packaging crew and ensure team members are compliant with packaging standards.
- CIP/sanitize packaging equipment before and after every use.
- Maintain all packaging equipment and execute scheduled maintenance tasks to ensure continued function of equipment.
- Verify readiness of all beers scheduled for packaging.
- Consult with the cellar department to communicate that the beer is at the correct temperature and carbonation level for packaging.
- Implement and ensure quality control protocols.
- Communicate with the Production team and Cellar team throughout the day to keep the day organized, running on time, and able to maintain a good workflow.
- Primary focus should be to safely package beer and provide a safe working environment which allows us to work cleanly and produce great beer in an environment with minimal stress.
- Assist in the cleaning of the packaging areas and the washing of equipment, floors and tools to comply with company and government sanitation standards.
- Basic working understanding of the brewing process and wort production as well as best practices for brewing beer is a prerequisite for this position
- Follow all SOPs and safety protocols.
- Strong leadership skills and management experience
- Make observations of efficiencies and inefficiencies.
- Make recommendations for equipment and processes with formal reports or an email.
- Contribute to improvements and processes required to gain efficiency and quality assurance in the packaging department.
- Participate in general cleaning of the break room, bathrooms, and offices.
- Remain calm, flexible, and able to work through setbacks and emergencies.
- Experienced in simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities in a hectic and fast paced work environment.
- Ability to know when to ask for help from the Head Brewer or Production staff if help is needed to prevent mistakes and ultimately get the job done.
- Able to work through challenges by setting a professional and upbeat example.
- Writing and math skills necessary to accurately complete a dilution calculations, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses, and alcohol content.
- Consistently read and write orders and draft emails. Ability to complete forms.
- Communicate clearly with co workers and managers, verbally and written.
- Frequent problem solving.
- Consistently lift and carry 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry 70 pounds to chest height.
- Frequent bending, stooping, pushing, lifting, kneeling and reaching.
- Must be able to stand for the entire shift, up to ten hours.
- Consistently able to use repetitive hand and wrist motion.
- Work with hot, cold and hazardous equipment and materials.